The Wood Mold we've engineered is an innovative technology that makes it cheaper, faster, and easier to provide safe drinking water to families.
What’s a BioSand Filter?
BioSand Filters (BSFs) use sand, gravel, and natural biological processes to filter out contaminants in water, making it safe for drinking. BSFs effectively eliminate cholera, typhoid, E coli, amoebic dysentery, and many additional pathogens that are harmful to humans. They’re a great low-tech drinking water solution.
- Very effective at removing bacteria, protozoa, and helminths (parasitic worms) from water, and at reducing turbidity
- Made with 100% locally available materials (unlike larger community based systems where foreign parts typically need to be imported)
- Labor intensive NOT capital intensive to manufacture
- No electricity or running parts required to operate the filter
- Little maintenance required
The traditional issue with concrete BSFs was that the Steel Mold used to produce them is expensive (between $750-2000) and requires an experienced welder to make. Many communities and local NGOs shared with us that they either didn't have the technical capacity or financial resources to start a BSF project. We listened and started exploring how to disrupt the concrete BioSand Filter manufacturing process.
Want to learn more about BioSand Filters? Download our Introduction to BioSand Filters document to learn more about how BSFs work, their different components, and frequently asked questions.
Our Wood Mold
Our award winning DIY Wood Mold we've engineered is an innovative technology that makes it cheaper, faster, and easier to produce concrete BioSand Filters. Because the Wood Mold uses local materials it is so inexpensive and easy to make, any local organization, anywhere can bring clean water access to their community. You can find our Wood Mold Construction Manual and Appendix on our Resources Page. These pictorial step-by-step instructional documents are open-source and free to download.
Advantages of the Wood Mold
- Inexpensive ($50-$75/mold including cost of labor)
- Locally-Sourced Materials (all materials purchased in-country and easily replaced)
- Easy to use (no special skills or previous construction experience necessary)
- Durable (+50 filters/mold)
- Can be made off-grid and on-location. (no electricity required)
- Rapidly increases filter production capacity. It can scale! (See infographic below)
Making a BioSand Filter with the OHorizons Wood Mold
Step1: Construct and assemble the Wood Mold
Step2: Mix and pour concrete into the Mold, let it sit overnight
Step3: De-mold the BSF and prepare filter media
Step4: Install filter media and operate BSF
Are you ready for more in-depth video lessons on building our Wood Mold? Our DIY Instructional Video Series features 6 videos that provide supplementary visuals and explanations to the information laid out in our Wood Mold Construction Manual and Appendix. Start here... Parts of the OHorizons Wood Mold